I try to leave out the parts that people skip. - Elmore Leonard
This is an eternal question. Many a writer have written a post about this question many a times. However this still continues as one of the questions that most aspiring bloggers have trouble finding the answer too. Has it happened to you that you have started a blog, and only within a couple of weeks left the blog deserted?
If not millions, definitely there are tens of thousands of blogs online that look something like this.
Here are some tips that will avoid your blog from looking something like this, and with time will make it something like this,
- Select a topic that you like. This is a very straight forward tip. If you choose a topic that you don’t really like, you will soon lose the motivation required to keep the blog up and running.
- Never select a topic that you may not know what to write about. It would be really sad, if you start a blog with all the zest and enthusiasm only to realize a week later, that you have written all that you could about the topic.
- Specialize! Blogging is not just about writing. It is about learning as well. Whatever topic you may have chosen, try to learn more and more about it. This will not only help your blog, and your blog readers, but will enhance your knowledge as well.
- If you select a highly specialized topic, that is good too. The advantage is, perhaps not as many blogs exist on that topic. This gives your blog a slight edge over the blogs that are on common topics.
- On the other hand you may like to keep your blog for a wider spectrum of audience. In that case, be careful about the topics you choose.
For example, on one hand you are talking about Vegan food and on the other hand you are talking about steak dinners! Chances are this might not work as well. It’s a little improbable your audience might be interested in vegan food and steak dinners at the same time. You have to cater to a special niche of audience.
Another better example for the last point is, suppose you start a blog on music. On one hand you have Acid Rock and on the other hand you have Romantics, chances are you blog viewers will get confused and tune out to a better blog which is dedicated only to Acid rock or only to Romantics.
Cater to a specific niche of audience, in simple words, know your audience.
Choosing a blog topic is one of the most important decisions that you will make with respect to your blog. Give this question a little time, so that you have the right answer.
There is no single strategy that works well for all blogs. You may come up with something ingenious as well, who knows! However these are time-tested strategies that work well and will definitely give your blog the edge.
After all you don’t want to spend your time and effort to make just another blog!